Fifth round of highlight topics announced
30 November 2018
As a result of its ideas process, NERC is pleased to announce the topics that will be offered through its highlight topics programme, following the fifth cut-off for ideas.
The highlight topics in this call will be:
- Marine noise pollution: Understanding chronic effects
- Understanding the likelihood and impact of UK wildfires
- Impact of experimental deep-sea mining in the Central Pacific: A new inter-disciplinary challenge for UK environmental science
- Assessing large scale ecological responses to environmental change
- The impact of legacy waste in the coastal zone
- Advancing capabilities to predict UK and European weather conditions one season ahead
- The mineral systems approach to exploration and discovery of new sediment-hosted copper (Co,V) deposits.
Up to £16 million is available for this call. No more than two projects at up to £2 million will be funded for each topic, with the exception of 'Impact of experimental deep-sea mining' where no more than one project will be funded at up to £4 million. There are more highlight topics than funding is available, so not all highlight topics will necessarily result in funded grants.
An announcement of opportunity will be published shortly. Notifications of intent are anticipated to be required in January 2019 and the deadline for full proposals is likely to be in March 2019.