Strategic Programme Advisory Group appointments - May 2014
21 May 2014
The current membership of NERC's Strategic Programme Advisory Group, which will play a role in prioritising strategic research opportunities, has now been confirmed. Professor Michael Ellis was appointed as the first chair of SPAG in February 2014, and is joined by the following members:
- Dr Simon Buckle, Grantham Institute, Imperial College London
- Dr Eli Lazarus, Cardiff University
- Professor Graham Underwood, University of Essex
- Professor Ian Bateman, University of East Anglia
- Dr Fiona Harrison, Defra
- Dr Emily Shuckburgh, British Antarctic Survey
- Professor Ian Townend, HR Wallingford Ltd
- Dr Russell Wynn, National Oceanography Centre
- Dr Tamsin Cooper, Green Alliance
- Professor Steve Banwart, University of Sheffield
- Professor Pierre Friedlingstein, University of Exeter
SPAG members are appointed for one year in the first instance, with the expectation that membership will be extended for a further two.
SPAG's role is to help NERC by recommending prioritised strategic research opportunities that help deliver the NERC strategy to NERC's Science & Innovation Strategy Board. The priorities will have been generated from broad and open input of ideas from the NERC community, and submitted ideas will have been assembled into either Highlight Topics or Strategic Programme Areas.
SPAG members act as an interface between NERC and its communities to ensure that those strategic investments are appropriate, timely, support excellent research, and tackle environmental challenges faced by business and society.
The Members appointed are experts in their area of environmental science or profession and are committed to solving real-world problems through environmental science. As such they are well placed to recognise emerging ideas and opportunities across all of the NERC remit and to make judgements across a range of scientific, strategic and policy issues.