Towards a sustainable Earth - Steering committee
An independent steering committee has been established to advise all the partner organisations on the progress and strategic direction of the initiative, taking account of developments in international policy and feedback from wider stakeholders.
The committee will have an independent chair and membership drawn from the wider policy, research and innovation communities (including public, private and third sector as appropriate). Representatives from the convening organisations will be attend as observers.
- appointed on an ad hominem basis
- recognised global leaders in their field
- individuals with substantive knowledge directly related to the initiative
- individuals with wide, international networks and connections.
- have the ability to commit to and endorse the initiative and its outcomes
- act within the seven principles of public life (Nolan principles), in particular to provide independent, informed advice, avoiding actual or perceived conflicts of interest by taking a collegiate approach to policy and strategy development
- act as 'generous generalists' - not to advocate specifically for their own discipline or areas of interest, but to take a broad view of the strategic needs of the initiative
- validate and challenge constructively perspectives drawing on the available evidence and their own experiences
- take individual and collective ownership of the advice they provide
- use their own networks to gather intelligence that can be brought to bear.
- Professor Liu Congqiang - President, National Natural Science Foundation China
- Patricia Espinosa - Executive Secretary, UNFCCC
- Professor Sir Andy Haines - Professor of public health & primary care, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine
- Dr Rebecca Keiser - Head, Office of International Science & Engineering, National Science Foundation
- Dr Pushpam Kumar - Senior Economic Advisor, UN Environment
- Professor Dame Georgina Mace - Director, University College London Centre for Biodiversity & Environment Research
- Professor Tony McEnery - Director of Research, ESRC
- Isayvani Naicker - Director Strategy & Partnerships, African Academy of Science
- Professor Johan Rockström - Executive Director, Stockholm Resilience Centre
- Dr Rajiv Shah - President, The Rockefeller Foundation
- Yoshiko Shirokizawa - Executive Director, Japan Science & Technology Agency
- Dominic Waughray - Head of Public-Private Partnership, World Economic Forum
- Peter White - Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, World Bussiness Council for Sustainable Development
- Professor Duncan Wingham - Executive Chair, NERC