Official Development Assistance (ODA) update
Please refer to ODA review for the latest information on ODA.
The Newton Fund - external link is part of the UK's commitment to spend 0·7% of Gross National Income on Official Development Assistance (ODA). The goal of the fund is to stimulate economic and social development of 17 selected partner countries - external link on the Organisation for Economic Co-operation & Development Development Assistance Committee list.
17 May 2019
NERC-funded researchers have begun a series of collaborative projects with partners in Argentina, Brazil, Chile and Peru to advance understanding of the social and economic role of biodiversity in Latin America, and how it can be managed more sustainably.
Launched in 2014, the fund originally had a budget of £75 million each year for five years (2014-2019), which was extended and expanded to £150 million per year for 2019-2021, leading to a total of £735 million UK investment by 2021, with partner countries providing matched resources
The intention of the fund is to use the UK's science and innovation strengths to collaborate on partner developing country challenges to support their economic development and social welfare.
UK Research & Innovation is one of several UK delivery partners - external link for the Newton Fund. It is working strategically with partner countries to develop a series of activities to address challenges defined by the overarching ambitions of the Fund. Additional leveraged funds may be achieved through private foundations, multi-lateral organisations or corporate partners.
Since 2014, NERC has been running a number of Newton Fund calls and initiatives (see below) supporting £63 million investment, across 112 projects working with 11 Newton fund partner countries. These have included new research collaborations, capacity-building activities, and translation activities whilst also building on existing NERC programmes.
Previous and current NERC Newton Fund activities, by launch year:
- Sustainable Gas Futures (2014-2018)
- Security of Supply of Mineral Resources (2014-2019)
- Food security & land use change (2014-2019)
- Atmospheric Pollution & Human Health in a Developing Megacity (2014-2020)
- Increasing Resilience to Natural Hazards in Earthquake-prone regions in China (2015-2018)
- Using Critical Zone Science to Understand Sustaining the Ecosystem Service of Soil & Water (2015-2018)
- Understanding and Sustaining Brazilian Biome Resources (2015-2019)
- Sustaining water resource for food energy and ecosystem services (2015-2019)
- India-UK Water Quality (2017-2021)
- Exploring and Understanding Colombian Biological Resources (2018-2021)
- Understanding the impacts of Hydrometeorological Hazards in South East Asia (2018-2021)
- Peruvian Glacial Retreat and its Impact on Water Security & Resilience to Natural Hazards (2018-2021)
- Wallacea - Understanding Biodiversity & evolutionary responses to environmental change (2018-2021)
- Latin American Biodiversity Programme: Biodiversity - Ecosystem services for sustainable development (2018-2022)