Pre-announcement: SPF (Space Weather Instrumentation, Measurement, Modelling and Risk)
NERC will shortly be inviting proposals for the first funding call as part of the UKRI Space Weather Instrumentation, Measurement, Modelling and Risk (SWIMMR).
SWIMMR will develop and deploy new instruments, models and services to support the UK space weather community and the Met Office Space Weather Operations Centre. This programme will significantly add to the UK's capability to predict and mitigate the hazards of space weather, as well as providing a basis for wider international collaboration over the four-year lifetime of the proposal and beyond.
This call is expected to contribute to the transition of space weather research to operations in the following areas:
- Satellite radiation risks and forecast;
- Aviation risk forecasts;
- Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS) and High Frequency (HF) Aviation forecasts
- Ground effects forecasts;
- Satellite drag forecasts.
Further details will be provided in the full Announcement of Opportunity.
Individuals in approved UK Higher Education Institutions, Research Council Institutes, and Independent Research Organisations are eligible to apply for programme funds. Exceptionally, individuals from Public Sector Research Establishments (PSRE) with 10 or more researchers with PhDs (or equivalent) are also eligible to apply – more information on PSRE eligibility will be available in the Announcement of Opportunity (AO).
Note all dates are indicative and subject to change.
- NERC AO release: 26 November 2019
- Full proposal submission deadline: 30 January 2020
- Assessment/Interview panel: mid March 2020
- Latest project start date: 1 June 2020