Planet Earth stories
There are 35 item(s) tagged with the keyword "Antarctic".
Displaying: 1 - 10 of 35
- 1. Get to know the UK's new polar research ship, the RRS Sir David Attenborough
Once you have set eyes on the RRS Sir David Attenborough, you won't forget her. From rock drills and marine robots to the intriguingly named moon pool, take a closer look at everything the ship has to offer.
- 2. From childhood ambition to ocean explorer: Looking back on a life at sea
Over the years, I've explored unvisited areas of ocean floor. I've discovered new ecosystems and described weird and wonderful species and even had the honour of having some named after me.
- 3. Missing ocean monitoring instrument found after five years at sea
Early Christmas present for the National Oceanography Centre as missing deep-ocean lander is found after five years lost at sea.
- 4. Hay Trans.MISSION Q&A with Chris Haughton and Dr Emily Shuckburgh
Dr Emily Shuckburgh worked with author and illustrator Chris Haughton to show how scientists measure the impacts of CO2 over time.
- 5. Hay Trans.MISSION Q&A with Nicola Davies and Professor Ed Hawkins
Poet Nicola Davies teamed up with Professor Ed Hawkins to explore climate and weather in a series of poems set to images.
- 6. Painting underwater pictures with sound
Silent marine robots that record sounds underwater are allowing researchers at the University of East Anglia to listen to the oceans as never before.
- 7. 30 years of healing the ozone layer
This week marks the 30th anniversary of the signing of the Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer. The signing of the Montreal Protocol was a landmark political event. The treaty is the first in the history of the United Nations to achieve universal ratification. Environmental science made it happen.
- 8. Down in the bottom of the deep blue sea
Deep sea covers most of our planet and yet we know more about the surface of the moon than its dark depths.
- 9. RRS Sir David Attenborough polar research ship one year on
It's exactly a year since NERC launched a campaign to name our new polar research vessel. We take a look at what's happened since RRS Sir David Attenborough was picked.
- 10. New footage shows crack in Larsen C Ice Shelf
Currently a huge iceberg, roughly the size of Norfolk, looks set to break off the Larsen C Ice Shelf, which is more than twice the size of Wales.
Displaying: 1 - 10 of 35