Planet Earth stories
There are 37 item(s) tagged with the keyword "Adaptation and mitigation".
Displaying: 1 - 10 of 37
- 1. Tiny fossils reveal how shrinking was essential for successful evolution
Scientists have discovered that mammals successfully evolved over the years by getting smaller in size.
- 2. Genetic toolkit gives periwinkles seashore advantage
Periwinkles, struggling to survive the seashore battleground, have developed a genetic toolkit to help them adapt to different environments, a new study shows.
- 3. How much time is left to meet the Paris climate agreement?
Dr Phil Goodwin and Professor Ric Williams ran 100 million simulations of carbon emissions and warming to find out.
- 4. Hay Trans.MISSION Q&A with Chris Haughton and Dr Emily Shuckburgh
Dr Emily Shuckburgh worked with author and illustrator Chris Haughton to show how scientists measure the impacts of CO2 over time.
- 5. Hay Trans.MISSION Q&A with Dan Binns and Professor Ally Lewis
Aardman director Dan Binns teamed up with Professor Ally Lewis to explore the surprising amount of air pollution emitted by the home.
- 6. Hay Trans.MISSION Q&A with Nicola Davies and Professor Ed Hawkins
Poet Nicola Davies teamed up with Professor Ed Hawkins to explore climate and weather in a series of poems set to images.
- 7. Helping species on the move
Meet the software for working out where species will thrive in future, as global warming pushes them north seeking cooler places and key habitat is lost.
- 8. Your tropical food trolley
Tropical climates in the depths of Asia, Africa or South America might seem a world away from the checkout queue in your average Scottish supermarket or corner shop. But if your basket contains chocolate, coffee, bananas or rice, you can almost guarantee that what you eat comes from far warmer places thousands of miles away.
- 9. Uncovering changing climate in the UK's seas, coasts and oceans
Climate change is having important effects on UK seas and coastlines and these have been brought together by the UK Marine Climate Change Impacts Partnership (MCCIP) in their report published today.
- 10. Revealing the UK's hidden depths
Underneath the Earth's surface lies a wealth of resources. But will the way we currently use them give us problems in the future? Dr Ciaran Beggan, Dr Andrew Barkwith and Dr Caroline Graham at the British Geological Survey (BGS) explain why we need a clearer picture.
Displaying: 1 - 10 of 37